RE: [Nolug] company dns on internet / not linux but...

From: Mark D Robinson <mrobinso_at_fpkc.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 16:46:17 -0600

I know you said that you don't want to put nameservers at

each spoke site and don't want to pass DNS traffic over the

T1s, but I'm guessing that you actually don't want to

manage independent nameservers at each site and that you

might not mind passing the occasional *internal* zone

transfer over the T1s. If that's not the case, maybe you

can elaborate on the reasons you don't want to do either of

these.

Anyway, have you considered doing something like this:

Put a primary nameserver at your hub site.
Put caching secondary nameservers at each spoke office.
Sign up for a secondary hosting service (this is cheap,

probably less than $50/year).
Only list the hosted nameservers in your domain record and

in the zone data NS records (a "hidden primary" setup).
Point the user PCs at each spoke office to the nameserver

at that office.
Only allow zone transfers from your hosted nameservers to

your primary, while the spoke office secondaries do zone

transfers over the T1s.
Use BIND views (BIND 8 or 9), subdomains, or alternate

domains to restrict the DNS information on internal IPs to

your private network.

Benefits:

You're not resolving DNS queries from the outside through

your Internet connection.
The spoke offices get fast, reliable DNS resolution for

both internal (authoritative) as well as external IPs

(cached), even if a connection is down.
External queries are handled (by the hosted nameservers)

even if one your ISP connections is down. Especially good

if your website and/or email is hosted outside of your

network.
DNS changes only have to be made on the primary, and will

propagate to all of the secondaries.
You're only publishing public IPs (Publishing private IPs

is usually frowned on, see

http://www.menandmice.com/9000/9320_DNS_Corner_Q&A/93_Q&A_0

01.html [Cricket Liu wrote the O'Reilly DNS books and does

the Q&A]).
Your internal IPs aren't available via DNS to the outside

world.

Just a thought.

Mark Robinson