Re: [Nolug] [Fwd: FW: [Fwd: [No lug] Fiber and telephone poles...]]

Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:54:19 -0600

Shannon Roddy wrote:
>>From experience, we have had several problems with our fiber... all of
> them were environmental because it runs above ground. All of the
> below incidents have happened in only 4 years of running on it.

<snip>

> Burying it, short of a backhoe, means no real chance of an outage
> except for electronics (end points)

Okay, since renting pole space seems to be both difficult (due to
Bellsouth and Entergy playing games) and since having fibre exposed to
the elements poses problems, what about using free space optics between
the two buildings ? (I'm not writing off using a dry pair or trenching
as possible methods though) Has anyone on the list messed with free
space optics and, if so, what type of experience had you had with FSO ?

Jeremy