Re: [Nolug] I got hit by Katrina yesterday!

From: Jeremy <listbox_at_unix-boy.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:09:01 -0500

Chris Johnston wrote:
> I just got a letter that I am being kicked out of my apartment. I guess
> so a new owner can come in charge double the rent. I know this is not
> even remotely Linux related but I need help. I put a link to my blog
> with a much more detailed description of what happened. Any way you can
> help, either with knowledge of a place to rent or help in getting this
> story out, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> http://katrinarecovery.blogspot.com/2006/06/thank-you-ernie-attorney.html
>

> Chris Johnston

I read the posting on Ernie the Attorney's blog about how you are
looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom for around $700/month. To be honest,
anything in JP or OP of that size is going to be super expensive now,
starting about the $1000 and up end of things. I called about an
apartment yesterday that was 1 bedroom, a kitchen and a bathroom (NO
living area) and the landlord wanted $1100 for it. Pre-Katrina for
$1100/month, you could have gotten a small house...

The rental situation sucks, especially now that all the people are
coming back to START working on their homes and aren't getting FEMA
trailers. And the worst part is, many haven't done any work on their
homes at all yet, so that means the rental shortage is going to last
awhile longer because some of these people were lazy.

Anyway, what I can do is keep an eye out for you while I'm looking
around the city. I've mainly been looking in OP for stuff along
Esplanade and in the areas around St. Charles Avenue. I'm not sure if
those are areas you want to live in or not. Let me know.

Jeremy