Re: [Nolug] Cox Networking-off topic

From: Petri Laihonen <pietu_at_weblizards.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:53:39 -0500

Are you using motorola surfboard (or something like that) as your cable
modem?

If so, the problem is between your Linksys and cable modem most likely.
They often require lots of "reboots" in various order before they talk
to each other. Even after they do talk to each other, you will find
there a lot of traffic even though you are not doing anything online.
There is known problem there and I have never tried to flash the Linksys
router with third party Linux OS, so I do not know if that solves the
problem. (I do not know about current models of surfboards and Linksys
Router, but I had that problem couple of years ago. I think My modem is
SB 5100 or something like that.... too lazy to put light under the
table....)

The way around Cox's fee for networking is to just do it yourself. It is
just there to charge people who do not understand anything about
networking. Businesswise, I think they are covering the cost for some
of the tech support calls from people who do not know anything about
networking.

It shouldn't be their business how many computers you have in your
internal network. (IMHO)

Petri