Re: [Nolug] GUI programming for Unix/Linux

From: A. Murat Eren <meren_at_uludag.org.tr>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:09:55 -0600

 Hi,

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 10:47, Dennis Bourn wrote:
> so finally,.. my question,.. Can anyone recommend a programming language
> that fits this bill,.. If I dont hear of anything than ill just start
> with C. In which case what books do you recommend as good learning
> material,.. and any books I should stay away from.

 Don't start with C. I think it would be a nice end to this project.

 Of course you can do everything with C, but if you're not going to implement
a process scheduler or a new fancy file system or a touch screen driver it is
not a good idea to use C since there are a bunch of great programming
languages with cool libraries.

 You can do everything with X11 + PyQT, and PyQt would be the best choice I'd
say. Python is a very fast, very powerful OO language with a great standart
library. Qt is also a very powerful widget library and it has great Python
bindings. I strongly recommend you to try this couple first.

 You can find so many online reference manuals, e-books, examples and tips
about Python, Qt and PyQt and it wouldn't take you more than 3 days to start
coding with Python efficently.

 My 2 cents.

 Best,

--