Re: [Nolug] server distro considerations

From: Shannon Roddy <sroddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 03:07:38 -0600

On 1/11/07, Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com> wrote:

> Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> -ray <ray@ops.selu.edu> writes:
>

> If you like Debian, go with Ubuntu. I always stayed away from stable
> cause it was so old. Everytime you needed a newer version, you ended
> up compiling lots of stuff from source, quite painfully sometimes.
> Ubuntu seems to fix that, although it remains to be seen if LTS will
> become as stale/stable as debian stable.
>
> Those of you who think that Debian stable is stale haven't ever had to
> admin a Solaris box.
>

> slam! I hear ya

Different purpose/use. I would never trade any of my solaris servers
for Linux. In '00 or so when I was basically just a Linux zealot,
sure. But not since my time started to become valuable to me. There
is a reason Solaris is like it is... Long term stability. BTW - I
wouldn't call it stale, have any of you used ZFS yet? There are a lot
of bleeding edge things going on at Sun lately.

-Shannon