Re: [Nolug] beryl in linux

From: Jeffrey Hendricks <hendricks_clan_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:25:22 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

>Subject: [Nolug] beryl in linux
>
>Looks quite nice.....
>http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=beryl
>http://www.beryl-project.org/
>
>Petri

I've been using it for a couple of months. The things this desktop does are simply amazing. I'm using it with direct acceleration from the nVidia drivers, so I can actually run a 3D app in a window with almost no performance slowdown. Probably the most useful thing is the "window thumbnail" feature that lets you see all open windows at the flick of the mouse, and just click on the one you want to be in front. If you use Gimp a lot, it's a lifesaver. However, if you're running large resolutions, you'll need a video card with appropriate amounts of video memory... I"m running 1600x1200 at 24bit color, and my video card only has 128M and if I open too many windows, they won't render right (I get black squares unless I resize them smaller). It was easy to install... well, relatively. I'm running Suse 10.2 and using smart as a package manager, and it is a snap to get running. You can even select your window manager without logging out of X! Just switch to Kwin if it's acting up, crashes, or whatever. Everytime I show this to people (I've got a demo running on a PII 500Mhz machine and an old Geforce2 card) and then I tell them the hardware requirements for Windows Vista, they get this dumbfounded look on their faces.... it's awesome!

Vista has nothing on this.

-Jeff Hendricks