Re: [Nolug] bcm43xx-fwcutter

From: B. Estrade <estrabd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:14:16 +0000

On 4/17/07, Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> wrote:
> On Monday 16 April 2007 22:47, Chris Johnston wrote:
> > If you use WEP with a 128bit hexadecimal key it will be secure enough that
> > most people trying to crack it will move on to an easier target. Unless you
> > have a really smart hacker that really dislikes you, or some really
> > valuable info that someone wants, this is strong enough for most purposes.
>
> I dispute this. WEP is terminally broken, period. When you can crack 64-bit
> WEP in under 3 minutes, do you think a key only twice as long will keep you
> safe?

Are you implying that a 128 bit key will only take 6 minutes? I am
pretty sure that the difficulty in cracking WEP keys increases
exponentially using the similar methods as your key length gets
longer. I would guess that the 128 bit key could be cracked in under
a few hours (if your traffic is high) but not a few more minutes.

BTW, it appears that WEP2 enforces 128 bit keys, but it is still
vulnerable to the attrack (wp). Using 256 bits would make it even
harder to crack, but ultimately anything that could be cracked in a
matter of hours or days is generally not something you want to use as
a long term solution.

Cheers,

--
225.578.1920