[Nolug] Anyone want a Mandriva One 2007.1 LiveCD?

From: Katrina Niolet <kniolet_at_ildiinc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 05:35:02 -0500

Mandriva 2007.1 (aka 2007 Spring) was just released. If anyone wants a copy of
the Mandriva One 2007.1 LiveCD let me know (by responding here or by direct
email) before 14:00 or so and I will bring them to the meeting (or bring a
blank CD and I will burn it for you there, but due to the time it takes I
can't do too many this way.)
One thing I would recommend is having the windows driver for your WiFi card on
a usb key just in case. (it has a wizard for ndiswrapper) This is a LiveCD
and does not touch your hard disk (however it does include an
easy-but-powerfull install tool in case you love it)

Katrina Niolet
kniolet@ildiinc.com

Here are some of the highlights (from the Mandriva site):

Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring integrates the latest innovations in the fields of
office suite applications, Internet, multimedia and virtualization
technologies. Not only does Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring bring to users the
most advanced Linux operating system, it also includes some very special new
features:
WengoPhone, an open source software developed by OpenWengo that uses the open
SIP protocol to provide competitive and high quality phone calls!
Google Picasa, an application for organizing and editing digital photos, and
Google Earth, the famous virtual globe;
 Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring is compatible with the Wii™ remote. Users can
therefore use it instead of a regular joystick on Linux games!
Drakvirt, a Mandriva-developed configuration tool to help users configure
virtualization;
 Updated and improved versions of the Mandriva configuration tools;
Metisse is not a 3D desktop...
 However, the key innovation of Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring is Metisse, the
unconventional new window environment developed by the French In Situ
project. Metisse is designed to implement highly innovative features which
improve the usability of the desktop, giving you completely new ways to
interact with your system! Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring also provides the
newest versions of the Compiz and Beryl 3D-accelerated desktops. Together,
Metisse, Compiz and Beryl - with the convenient Mandriva configuration tool -
make Mandriva Linux the must-have distribution for cutting-edge graphical
technologies.
Join the FON community with Mandriva!
 Mandriva and FON, the largest WiFi community in the world, have teamed up to
develop DrakFON. This application allows Mandriva users to easily install the
FON firmware on any compatible WiFi router and convert it into a FONspot,
thus enabling the user to share his/her WiFi with the FON Community and in
return to connect for free to more than 100,000 FONspots around the world.
DrakFON can also be downloaded for free on FON's website.
Four virtualization technologies
 With Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring, users can manage their IT infrastructure by
running many virtualized Linux and Windows® operating systems simultaneously
on a single physical machine powered by Mandriva Linux. 2007 Spring
integrates four major virtualization technologies: VirtualBox, VMware, Xen
and QEMU with KVM.
 Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring provides users with all the latest key open source
desktop environments and applications such as:
 X.org 7.2
 KDE 3.5.6
 GNOME 2.18
 OpenOffice.org 2.1
 Mozilla Firefox 2.0
 Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0
A new dimension for laptops
 And finally, 2007 Spring has a special focus on laptop power management: new
graphical desktop applets (KPowersave and GNOME Power Manager), better
frequency scaling (frequency is adjusted on demand), new suspend tools
framework (from freedesktop.org), bootsplash support when hibernating and
intensive hardware testing to improve support on a wide range of laptops.
 As usual, Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring is available in five editions: Free (the
purely free Mandriva Linux), One (the live/install CD), Discovery (for Linux
beginners), Powerpack (for advanced users) and Powerpack+ (for small
businesses).
 More information on the Mandriva Linux 2007 Spring page.
“Mandriva has decided to give its customers the best product yet by sharing
freshness and innovation. We are therefore proud to be the only leading
distribution to integrate outstanding, visionary technologies such as
Metisse, as well as the more common Compiz and Beryl. At the same time, we
have not forgotten the basics, and 2007 Spring provides everything customers
need: stable, useful and friendly applications”, declared Camille Repussard,
Marketing Manager of Mandriva.
 "Don't look too hard at the kernel version number - look at the ChangeLog.
Our kernel team continuously adds patches from newer kernels, extending our
compatibility. We currently support a huge range of different hardware and
are working on supporting even more in the future", said Francois Bandet,
Quality Assurance Engineer at Mandriva.