[Nolug] Any way to have a program verify that it's running a legitimate version?

From: Elliott Seyler <rainrunner87_at_mailshack.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 14:51:16 -0500

I'm planning a rather crazy project to make a distributed server, and
one of the problems I've come across in my initial planning is
preventing people from connecting modified versions of the server. I
want to prevent anything but a legitimate version from being part of the
server network, to prevent collusion with the intent to reveal secure
information or communication sent or stored within the network.

The trouble is that I can't think of any reliable way to do this. Any
suggestions you may have would be welcome.

-Elliott