[Nolug] 3d Seismic data SEG-Y stuff

From: Shannon Roddy <sroddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:03:37 -0500

Anyone here ever do any work with 3d seismic data, as in oil
exploration surveys. Someone I know has 4 data tapes (8mm 112m tapes)
that we tried reading in an exabyte drive on Linux. dd wouldn't even
take a bit for bit image of the tape. Does anyone know if the oil
industry uses something special to write these tapes? After some
googling we suspect that the files are written to the tape in an
industry standard known as SEG-Y that has been around since the 70s.
There is even some software for Linux we dug up that should have read
the files, however I think we are dealing with a tape format
incompatibility. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,
Shannon