Re: [Nolug] OT: Windows Data replication Software

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 19:16:31 -0500

On Monday 09 July 2007 17:23, Scott Harney wrote:
> Joey Kelly wrote:
> >> Any other solution ideas? Maybe rsync for windows via SSH? Anyone set
> >> anything like that up?
> >
> > Ok, call me cheap and set in my ways, but I'm going to be doing exactly
> > that next week. I will install cygwin on the windows PC, and make sshd
> > run as a service. Once I have that in place, I'm going to pull updates to
> > a linux server using rsync.
>
> It all depends on your objectives and the recovery point you want to
> support. If you can do replication at the block level, perhaps
> asynchronously, you can have your recovery point on the DR host within
> seconds of the source. I've found a couple of non-commercial Linux
> solutions to do this -- the "network block device" (
> http://www.it.uc3m.es/ptb/nbd/ )which is a kernel module and an
> application from 2004 called Pratima
> (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7265 ).

Most of the stuff I'm trying to replicate is random files (word, excel, maybe
quickbooks) on random PCs. There is an application that lives on a W2k3
server that I want to back up, but I can insure that everyone is out of the
thing and that file locking won't be an issue.

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?