Re: [Nolug] Suggestion for a meeting topic

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 18:36:26 -0500

On Thursday 23 August 2007 18:06, Chris Jones wrote:
> One thing I'd love to learn more about in linux, and I'm sure some of you
> can probably shed some light on the subject, is basic white hat hacking and
> network security.

This sounds cool.

> As we all know, linux has a reputation for being more secure
> than windows, which is really misleading, because a system's security is
> 100% dependant on its administrator, whether it be running *ix or
> windows...

Well, I have to take exception to this. Windows isn't written from a security
standpoint, but from a feature standpoint. We real almost every week of
another zero-day attack, and that's because the code base has so many holes
in it that it's easy for crackers to poke at it and find vulnerabilities. So
while you can say that your Windows box is fully patched up, that really
doesn't buy you anything.

On the other hand, if your Linux distro and applications stack is a sane one,
and you're patched up, you're good to go. There just aren't that many
zero-day events in the open-source world, in large part because of the
peer-review process.

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?