[Nolug] encrypted remote filesystem project

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:55:53 -0500

Guys,

I have a project I'm working on that goes something like this:

I want to rsync my backups somewhere off-site before the next monster
hurricane kills us all. I do this all the time at several locations in and
around floody new Orleans, but I need something out-of-state. I'd like to use
some-random-webhost-company.com for off-site storage, since they're cheap.
The problem is, I don't want my data to be human-readable on their
easily-cracked server.

Here's my ideal solution: I can ssh to the web host's server, no problem. I
can also mount the server's filesystem via some tool like fish. I want to be
able to rsync my stuff over to their server, but I want the files I place
there to be encrypted, let's say with GPG. I want some tool running on my
desktop here at home to transparently encrypt the files as they are being
placed on the remote server. I also want rsync to be able to look into the
encrypted files and see only the unencrypted versions, so that rsync will
work properly. In other words, I don't want rsync to know anything about the
fact that those files are encrypted on the remote server.

Thoughts?

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?