Re: [Nolug] encrypted remote filesystem project

From: Trey <gefox4_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 07:57:03 -0500

Taken from Techrepublic:

"The KDE desktop has a very interesting Kioslave protocol handler called
Fish that allows users to access remote filesystems over SSH securely—
all within the confines of the Konqueror file browser. Making use of
this functionality is extremely easy; open Konqueror and in the Location
bar type:

fish://user@host

This allows you to connect to the remote system "host" as user "user."
KDE will pop up a password-entry dialog box to provide your ssh password
to the remote host if you are not using ssh keys to access it. You can
even have KDE remember it in the KWallet program so you can make
subsequent connections without providing a password.

Once you've connected to the remote host, you can manipulate files in
Konqueror the same as you would on the local filesystem by viewing
graphics, listening to music files, editing text files, and so on.

To enable previewing of remote files, select Settings, then Configure
Konqueror from the task bar. In the pop-up window, select Previews &
Meta-Data from the sidebar, and select the box next to Fish Internet
Protocol. Adjust the maximum file size from which Konqueror will make
previews and click Apply."

more here:
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6102390.html

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 17:01 -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> fish?
>
> --
> Puryear Information Technology, LLC
> Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414
> http://www.puryear-it.com
>
> Author, "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
> http://www.puryear-it.com/pubs/linux-unix-best-practices
>
> Identity Management, LDAP, and Linux Integration
>

> Joey Kelly wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > I have a project I'm working on that goes something like this:
> >
> > I want to rsync my backups somewhere off-site before the next monster
> > hurricane kills us all. I do this all the time at several locations in and
> > around floody new Orleans, but I need something out-of-state. I'd like to use
> > some-random-webhost-company.com for off-site storage, since they're cheap.
> > The problem is, I don't want my data to be human-readable on their
> > easily-cracked server.
> >
> > Here's my ideal solution: I can ssh to the web host's server, no problem. I
> > can also mount the server's filesystem via some tool like fish. I want to be
> > able to rsync my stuff over to their server, but I want the files I place
> > there to be encrypted, let's say with GPG. I want some tool running on my
> > desktop here at home to transparently encrypt the files as they are being
> > placed on the remote server. I also want rsync to be able to look into the
> > encrypted files and see only the unencrypted versions, so that rsync will
> > work properly. In other words, I don't want rsync to know anything about the
> > fact that those files are encrypted on the remote server.
> >
> > Thoughts?

Trey Fox
http://usalug.org - Site Moderator
http://OpenSuse.US - Site Administrator