Re: [Nolug] world ends, MySQL bought by SUN

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 11:04:43 -0600

B. Estrade wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:43:54AM -0500, Donnie Cameron wrote:
>> Or maybe Sun botches this up and we all have to move to Postgres!
>
> For $1 billion, I think Sun might try to not screw this thing up :)
>
> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/01/sun_acquires_mysql.html
>
> Brett

Why or why did Tim O'Reilly have to bring the Web 2.0 bullshit into his
article about the acquisition?

"This seems to me to be a great deal both for Sun and for MySQL. Anyone
who follows this blog or has heard my talks will have seen me say "Data
is the Intel Inside" of the next generation of internet applications,
the very heart of Web 2.0. And of course, most of those Web 2.0
applications are built on the LAMP stack, where M stands for MySQL, far
and away the leading open source database."

I'm sick of hearing about it. Ugh.

Either way, I see this as being better for enterprise users of MySQL...
   Sun has a much larger pool of resources to devote to it, so support
options might get better - as in 24/7 support, onsite engineers, etc.