archives: Why can't I delete a file?

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:03:20 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

I have a strange program. On Debian, trying to upgrade the gettext
package I get the following:

Unpacking gettext (from .../gettext_0.10.40-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/gettext_0.10.40-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of `./usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION' before
installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

OK, I figured something was wrong in the package, so I went to try to
delete the file, to see if that fixed it.
$ more /usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
GNU gettext library from gettext-0.10.35
$ ls -l /usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41 Jul 19 2000
/usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
rm: remove write-protected file `/usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION'? y
rm: cannot unlink `/usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION': Operation not
permitted

This is as root... anybody have a clue what could be going on here? I
can't rename the file, but I can copy it. What else should I look at?
Thanks,

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||    http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/

attached mail follows:

Peter Kahle <pkahle@pobox.com> writes:

> OK, I figured something was wrong in the package, so I went to try to
> delete the file, to see if that fixed it.
> $ more /usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
> GNU gettext library from gettext-0.10.35
> $ ls -l /usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41 Jul 19 2000
> /usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION
> rm: remove write-protected file `/usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION'? y
> rm: cannot unlink `/usr/share/gettext/intl/VERSION': Operation not
> permitted

Please see lsattr and chattr man pages, and try to use them.

-- Yuji Yamano

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Ron Johnson wrote:

> > Please see lsattr and chattr man pages, and try to use them.
>
> $ lsattr .bashrc
> lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on .bashrc
> $ lsattr -V
> lsattr 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
>
> Even as root, the operation fails for me...

This is purely SWAG[0], but check the processies to see if the file is
in use. I've been got by that gotcha before. The process may be the
child of a child of a child, ad infinitum, so it might require some
looking.

[0]Scientific Wild Arsed Guess

--
Since-beer-leekz,       |If this were an actual emergency,
Mikey                   |we would have all fled in terror, .

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Mikey <mraeder@payneservices.com> writes:

This is where lsof (if you have it) comes in handy.

lsof <filename> can tell you what processes are using a file.

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > > Please see lsattr and chattr man pages, and try to use them.
> >
> > $ lsattr .bashrc
> > lsattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device While reading flags on .bashrc
> > $ lsattr -V
> > lsattr 1.19, 13-Jul-2000 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
> >
> > Even as root, the operation fails for me...
>
> This is purely SWAG[0], but check the processies to see if the file is
> in use. I've been got by that gotcha before. The process may be the
> child of a child of a child, ad infinitum, so it might require some
> looking.
>
> [0]Scientific Wild Arsed Guess
> --
> Since-beer-leekz, |If this were an actual emergency,
> Mikey |we would have all fled in terror, .
> http://24.17.118.246:81 |and you would not have been notified

Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com>
Broadband Services Manager (LA)
Charter Communications