archives: whaky LAN problem

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:04:14 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Hi, all.

After the power flickered at my house the other night, something
strange is happening.

Background: I have 2 hubs, a 5-port and an 8-port. The cable
modem, my "work PC" and the firewall's NIC-1 are plugged into
the 5-port hub. (It's because of VPN issues that the work-PC
isn't behind the firewall.) The firewall's NIC-2 is plugged
into the 8-port hub, along with the rest of the LAN.

In order to debug-by-simplifying, I pulled NIC-2 out of the F/W.

Now, if I plug F/W NIC-1 into the 5-port hub, everything works
fine: I can go out to the internet. BUT, if I plug F/W NIC-1
into a known-good-port in the 8-port hub, the light in the back
of the NIC flashes very rapidly, and the light in the hub corres-
ponding to the known-good-port flashes yellow.

Of course, between plugging it into the 5-port hub and 8-port
hub, I reconfigure ifcfg-eth0 to give it the correct IP address,
netmask, etc.

Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is? My wife is getting
*VERY* aggrivated!!

Thanks,
Ron

=====
| Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Lockheed Martin IMS ronald.l.johnson@lmco.com |
| WWW Mail ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com |
| Overused words: community, feel, fun |
| Underused word: think |

attached mail follows:

This may sound stupid, but try some different cables. I had a similar
problem with a proprietary hub and nic that has only 4 wires active in it.
I had to custom build a cable to match the pins. An 8 wire cable wouldn't
work.

~
> After the power flickered at my house the other night, something
> strange is happening.
>
> Background: I have 2 hubs, a 5-port and an 8-port. The cable
> modem, my "work PC" and the firewall's NIC-1 are plugged into
> the 5-port hub. (It's because of VPN issues that the work-PC
> isn't behind the firewall.) The firewall's NIC-2 is plugged
> into the 8-port hub, along with the rest of the LAN.
>
> In order to debug-by-simplifying, I pulled NIC-2 out of the F/W.
>
> Now, if I plug F/W NIC-1 into the 5-port hub, everything works
> fine: I can go out to the internet. BUT, if I plug F/W NIC-1
> into a known-good-port in the 8-port hub, the light in the back
> of the NIC flashes very rapidly, and the light in the hub corres-
> ponding to the known-good-port flashes yellow.
>
> Of course, between plugging it into the 5-port hub and 8-port
> hub, I reconfigure ifcfg-eth0 to give it the correct IP address,
> netmask, etc.
>
> Anyone have a clue as to what the problem is? My wife is getting
> *VERY* aggrivated!!
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
>
> =====
> +---------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@home.com |
> | Lockheed Martin IMS ronald.l.johnson@lmco.com |
> | WWW Mail ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com |
> | Overused words: community, feel, fun |
> | Underused word: think |

attached mail follows:

Is there a change in speeds when you change NICs/HUBs? Which of the NICs
and which HUBs are 10Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 10/100 auto-sensing?

The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem once. I had an
10/100 auto-sensing HUB that worked just dandy but just decided to
retire one day. After trying many different factory made cables, making
my own cables, changing NICs in and out, I finally discovered that it
just wouldn't work with 100MBps connections any longer, but worked with
10Mbps connections just fine.

--------
Chuck

P.S. - Would it happen to be a D-Link HUB?

[...]

The NIC is 10/100, and the 8-port hub is 10/100 auto-sensing, so
even if the 5-port hub is only 10Mbps, things sould still work.

Last night, just in case, I ordered a 5- and 16-port auto-sensing
switches from TigerDirect...

=====
| Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Lockheed Martin IMS ronald.l.johnson@lmco.com |
| WWW Mail ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com |
| Overused words: community, feel, fun |
| Underused word: think |

attached mail follows:

should is the operative word. I've seen auto-sensing not act sensibly
before. Remember with switches that you're adding duplex into
the equation now.

don't forget to check the duplex settings on your boxes. When you insert
the drivers into the kernel for most NICs it's usually autosensing, but
yours may not be. easiest way to check is to unplug your network cable then
plug it back in. Syslog should log an entry describing how the NIC negotiates.

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:38:25AM -0800, Ron Johnson wrote:
> The NIC is 10/100, and the 8-port hub is 10/100 auto-sensing, so
> even if the 5-port hub is only 10Mbps, things sould still work.
>
> Last night, just in case, I ordered a 5- and 16-port auto-sensing
> switches from TigerDirect...
>
> --- Chuck <ohchucki@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Is there a change in speeds when you change NICs/HUBs? Which of the
> > NICs
> > and which HUBs are 10Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 10/100 auto-sensing?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem once. I had an
> > 10/100 auto-sensing HUB that worked just dandy but just decided to
> > retire one day. After trying many different factory made cables,
> > making
> > my own cables, changing NICs in and out, I finally discovered that
> > it
> > just wouldn't work with 100MBps connections any longer, but worked
> > with
> > 10Mbps connections just fine.
> >
> > --------
> > Chuck
> >

> > P.S. - Would it happen to be a D-Link HUB?

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

You dumped a perfectly working hub without telling anybody here!?

You know you will be crucified, right?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Ron Johnson wrote:

attached mail follows:

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
| "Why should we not accept all in favor of woman suffrage |
| to our platform and association even though they be rabid |
| pro-slavery Democrats." |
| Susan B. Anthony, _History_of_Woman_Suffrage_ |
| http://www.ifeminists.com/introduction/essays/introduction.html |

attached mail follows:

Right, my HUB should have worked also but it didn't. Try plugging in
other 10/100 NICs into that particular port and see what happens.

Chuck

        should is the operative word. I've seen auto-sensing not act
sensibly
        before. Remember with switches that you're adding duplex into
        the equation now.

        don't forget to check the duplex settings on your boxes. When
you insert
        the drivers into the kernel for most NICs it's usually
autosensing, but
        yours may not be. easiest way to check is to unplug your
network cable then
        plug it back in. Syslog should log an entry describing how the
NIC negotiates.

        On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:38:25AM -0800, Ron Johnson wrote:
> The NIC is 10/100, and the 8-port hub is 10/100 auto-sensing,
so
> even if the 5-port hub is only 10Mbps, things sould still
work.

> Last night, just in case, I ordered a 5- and 16-port
auto-sensing
> switches from TigerDirect...
>
> --- Chuck <ohchucki@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> > Is there a change in speeds when you change NICs/HUBs? Which
of the
> > NICs
> > and which HUBs are 10Mbps, 100 Mbps, or 10/100 auto-sensing?
> >
> > The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem once. I
had an
> > 10/100 auto-sensing HUB that worked just dandy but just
decided to
> > retire one day. After trying many different factory made
cables,
> > making
> > my own cables, changing NICs in and out, I finally
discovered that
> > it
> > just wouldn't work with 100MBps connections any longer, but
worked
> > with
> > 10Mbps connections just fine.
> >
> > --------
> > Chuck
> >

> > P.S. - Would it happen to be a D-Link HUB?

        Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
         PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81
94 63

This e-mail is the property of Enron Corp. and/or its relevant affiliate and may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient (s). Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender or reply to Enron Corp. at enron.messaging.administration@enron.com and delete all copies of the message. This e-mail (and any attachments hereto) are not intended to be an offer (or an acceptance) and do not create or evidence a binding and enforceable contract between Enron Corp. (or any of its affiliates) and the intended recipient or any other party, and may not be relied on by anyone as the basis of a contract by estoppel or otherwise. Thank you.