archives: Can I cheat?

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:04:54 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Hello,

Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more research?
Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?

Thanks,
Charles

attached mail follows:

Charles,

The answer is yes. I haven't done it, but I'm sure that someone here has.
Probably Konrad.

I just checked, and SuSE (http://suse.com) has a distro for it. I don't know
how familiar you are with Linux, but if you are doing server work, SuSE is a
great distro for it. If you use SuSE, YaST (SuSE's installer) is your friend.

In addition, NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) runs on sparc gear, as well.

Oh, and "cheat" away --- but you aren't really cheating. Some of the best
help for Linux can be gotten off mailing lists, usenet, and irc. We are glad
to help, in any way we can.

--Joey
(former HSD installer for MasTec)

Thou spake:
>Hello,
>
>Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more research?
>Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?
>
>Thanks,
>Charles

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Here is the link:

http://www.sun.com/software/linux/ultralinux/

Linux can run on the high-end servers and as well on the workstaions.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Charles,
>
> The answer is yes. I haven't done it, but I'm sure that someone here has.
> Probably Konrad.
>
> I just checked, and SuSE (http://suse.com) has a distro for it. I don't know
> how familiar you are with Linux, but if you are doing server work, SuSE is a
> great distro for it. If you use SuSE, YaST (SuSE's installer) is your friend.
>
> In addition, NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) runs on sparc gear, as well.
>
> Oh, and "cheat" away --- but you aren't really cheating. Some of the best
> help for Linux can be gotten off mailing lists, usenet, and irc. We are glad
> to help, in any way we can.
>
> --Joey
> (former HSD installer for MasTec)
>
> Thou spake:
> >Hello,
> >
> >Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more research?
> >Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Charles

> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org
>

> "When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
> When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Joey Kelly <looseduk@ductape.net> writes:

> I just checked, and SuSE (http://suse.com) has a distro for it. I don't know
> how familiar you are with Linux, but if you are doing server work, SuSE is a
> great distro for it. If you use SuSE, YaST (SuSE's installer) is your friend.

I'm an administrator of Linux/sparc server (http://xp.medinfo.m.ehime-u.ac.jp/)
and Vine Linux is running on this server. Vine Linux is based on Red Hat
Linux and customized for Japanese.

See http://www.ultralinux.org/dists.html for more distro information.

> In addition, NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) runs on sparc gear, as well.

Also I run NetBSD/sparc on old IPX box. I believe it's good OS as same
as Linux/sparc. But if you aren't familier with Unix, I don't recommend
it because installation process is a bit difficult.

-- Yuji Yamano

attached mail follows:

--- HSD/HSI System Engineer <pcguy1@home.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more
> research?
> Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?

We'll answer only if you give tell us whether the current scheme
of DHCP addresses being, for all intents and purposes, static
and tied to the cable modems will change when you migrate from
Excite@Home...

(More than 1 NOLUGger runs SPARC Linux. Debian or SuSE, I
presume.)

Ron

attached mail follows:

Ron Johnson <ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com> writes:

I'd bet money it will change to standard DHCP. That means your IP
address will rarely change -- if ever. I'm only interested in whether
or not Cox will let me purchase a static IP on my residential
account. I suspect they will once they get the system up and running
smoothly.

> --- HSD/HSI System Engineer <pcguy1@home.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more
> > research?
> > Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?
>
> We'll answer only if you give tell us whether the current scheme
> of DHCP addresses being, for all intents and purposes, static
> and tied to the cable modems will change when you migrate from
> Excite@Home...
>
> (More than 1 NOLUGger runs SPARC Linux. Debian or SuSE, I
> presume.)
>
> Ron

Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com>
Broadband Services Manager (LA)
Charter Communications

attached mail follows:

Scott Harney told me:

> Ron Johnson <ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> I'd bet money it will change to standard DHCP. That means your IP
> address will rarely change -- if ever. I'm only interested in whether
> or not Cox will let me purchase a static IP on my residential
> account. I suspect they will once they get the system up and running
> smoothly.

I wonder if cox is gonna turn port 80 back on, or I'm just going to have
to keep running my webswerver on another port.

--
Since-beer-leekz,       |If this were an actual emergency,
Mikey                   |we would have all fled in terror, .

attached mail follows:

Um, I thought that was cleared up already???

--Joey

Thou spake:
>Scott Harney told me:
>> Ron Johnson <ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>> I'd bet money it will change to standard DHCP. That means your IP
>> address will rarely change -- if ever. I'm only interested in whether
>> or not Cox will let me purchase a static IP on my residential
>> account. I suspect they will once they get the system up and running
>> smoothly.
>
>I wonder if cox is gonna turn port 80 back on, or I'm just going to have
>to keep running my webswerver on another port.

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

They started blocking again. I could swear mine was unblocked for a little while.

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:51:29PM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Um, I thought that was cleared up already???
>
> --Joey
>
> Thou spake:
> >Scott Harney told me:
> >> Ron Johnson <ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com> writes:
> >>
> >> I'd bet money it will change to standard DHCP. That means your IP
> >> address will rarely change -- if ever. I'm only interested in whether
> >> or not Cox will let me purchase a static IP on my residential
> >> account. I suspect they will once they get the system up and running
> >> smoothly.
> >
> >I wonder if cox is gonna turn port 80 back on, or I'm just going to have
> >to keep running my webswerver on another port.
>
> --
>
> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org
>

> "When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
> When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Weird. My port 80 and 25 have been cleared for the last couple of months

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Mikey wrote:

> Scott Harney told me:
> >
> > Ron Johnson <ronjohnsonjr@yahoo.com> writes:
> >
> > I'd bet money it will change to standard DHCP. That means your IP
> > address will rarely change -- if ever. I'm only interested in whether
> > or not Cox will let me purchase a static IP on my residential
> > account. I suspect they will once they get the system up and running
> > smoothly.
>
> I wonder if cox is gonna turn port 80 back on, or I'm just going to have
> to keep running my webswerver on another port.
>
> --
> Since-beer-leekz, |If this were an actual emergency,
> Mikey |we would have all fled in terror, .
> http://24.17.118.246:81 |and you would not have been notified

attached mail follows:

HSD/HSI System Engineer <pcguy1@home.com> writes:

yes. Linux/sparc runs on most sun server equipment. I'm not sure you
want or need to do that though. Solaris is essentially free on their
own platform nowadays. On higher-end sun equipment, I'd stick with
Solaris. On lower end stuff, Linux may be a good choice if there's
some licensing cost issue. Linux should be fine for DHCP/DNS and
those sorts of functions.

HSD/HSI System Engineer wrote:

> Can I cheat a little and ask a question before doing any more research?
> Is there a Linux platform that works on "Sun Servers" ?

Yep. What kinda box? Debian, SuSE, and RedHat have distros that work
on sparc-en.

Also, NetBSD and OpenBSD (which runs my webswerver) works well on
sparc-en

--
Since-beer-leekz,       |Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Mikey                   |Give a man a fully charged electric eel and