archives: sun blades

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:06:11 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Scott,

You still got Solaris on your blade? Or Linux? Can Solaris run KDE (I think
that was your blade desktop that I sat at the other day, right?)?

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

It can run Gnome. It actually run any window manager you want - as long as
you are willing to compile it on a Sun machien.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Scott,
>
> You still got Solaris on your blade? Or Linux? Can Solaris run KDE (I think
> that was your blade desktop that I sat at the other day, right?)?
>
> --
>
> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org
>

> "When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
> When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 05:14:50PM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Scott,
>
> You still got Solaris on your blade? Or Linux? Can Solaris run KDE (I think
> that was your blade desktop that I sat at the other day, right?)?

I don't know that their has been a port to the Blade for Linux. It's would
be kind of a pointless exercise anyway.

I'm running Gnome on my Blade desktop. You can compile KDE for it, of
course. (las time I looked there weren any solaris Sparc binaries for
KDE). If you saw KDE at my house, that was a Linux box.

> --
>
> Joey Kelly
> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org
>

> "When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
> When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
> -- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

No problem. I can compile, if I end up with a blade. The only reason I'd want
one is to learn Solaris on it, anyway. Fast computers I can buy, for about
the same price, so speed isn't the issue. 1337n355 is, though :-P

Oh, um, AFAIK, the web page says it takes normal, everyday PC100 (or PC133?)
ram -- am I correct in that? If so, I'd buy one with the base 64MB, and have
a field day maxing it out with wholesale-bought ram at micro-pc (when last I
looked at the blade pricing, they were still charging $$$$ for ram).

--Joey

Thou spake:
>On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 05:14:50PM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:
>> Scott,
>>
>> You still got Solaris on your blade? Or Linux? Can Solaris run KDE (I
>> think that was your blade desktop that I sat at the other day, right?)?
>
>I don't know that their has been a port to the Blade for Linux. It's would
>be kind of a pointless exercise anyway.
>
>I'm running Gnome on my Blade desktop. You can compile KDE for it, of
>course. (las time I looked there weren any solaris Sparc binaries for
>KDE). If you saw KDE at my house, that was a Linux box.
>
>> --
>>
>> Joey Kelly
>> < Minister of the Gospel | Computer Networking Consultant >
>> http://joeykelly.dhs.org
>>

>> "When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
>> When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
>> -- Benjamin Franklin

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Parts in em other than moherboard and processor are pretty much standard
PC stuff. You can use regular PC133 RAM with no problem. For
DVD-ROMs and add-on parts you just need to verify that there are sparc
drivers for them.