archives: PDC -- Exellent Question

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:07:14 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

How about as PDC for win 2000 network ?

I'm seriously considering of replacing my win2000 server with Linux box at
the UNO Motion Capture lab. That Winbox is so "$%&@#)j'd up" that I'm going
to loose my mind with it. For example today I tried to set up service
running as user. I found the user from domain normally, however after
hitting OK. I got yelled at with error message that said "cannot find user
or domain...". Makes lots of sense throwing this kind of error message after
I browsed into the domain and selected the specific user. (the one that
doesn't exist)

I need to reboot server every other day in order to be able to logon to the
network. Error message claims that there is not enough server storage to log
on. Doesn't make any sense. (Similar error message usually pops up when you
install original NT components after installing service pack, and you have
to re-apply the service pack.)

I'm facing one problem with converting to Linux tho. I wonder if anybody
know any answer for this.

After reading samba.org and some other pages about setting it up as PDC,
they all indicated that it does not work with win 2000 network. I'm stuck
with win2000 server.

I can still use Linux as file server, as it's a LOT faster than Win 2000.
You don't need any other benchmark tools, except your own eyeballs to verify
that.

Petri

attached mail follows:

I just read the info on Samba 2.2.2 lst night. It says that it can work
with Win2k. I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but check the
main page of samba.org. In the news block at the bottom is a link to go see
the new features and I think it is listed there.

BTW. Installing 2.2.2 fixed the whole smb not loading issue. And as a side
benefit, it is now working as the PDC of my local windows NT domain.
Problem I am having now is that it will not authenticate anyone for any
reason! heh

I have tried encrypted passwords, plaintext, putting the password in both
passwd, and smbpasswd. I have deleted smbpasswd so that it authenticates
against the users in passwd. I have put the user in smbuser file. All to no
avail. Now I am really stumped.

The log shows that it keeps going to Lanman default password for user <me>
for both windows machines. Then the next line is that authentication
failed. Anyone have any ideas?
~

attached mail follows:

Did you use smbpasswd for the users that you want to be able access the
server?

__
Eddie Benson
edwardbenson@nntech.net
ebenson@ebo.net

[...]

yes. I configured them after adding them into passwd. But I removed the
file after turning off encrypted passwords.

~