archives: PDC

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:08:32 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Does anyone have any information on how to make my linux box become the PDC
of my lan and/or do the NT style domain login? I want to have it so that
the box is locked if someone doesn't have an account on the linux machine.

I may be reaching in the darkness of ignorance (mine about linux). I just
sucessfully configured my box for DHCP last night. Anyone know how to make
the linux box get it's IP from itself?

~

attached mail follows:

Howdy.

Samba can do what you want. There is a howto about samba on linuxdoc.org, or
if you want overkill, I've got a mirror of the O'Reilly book on my site:

http://joeykelly.dhs.org/goodies/books/samba/

As far as DHCP goes, I'll let someone else filed the question... I don't do
DHCP, and won't until I am forced to learn it (I've used the cleint, but
that's a trivial issue).

--Joey

Thou spake:
>Does anyone have any information on how to make my linux box become the PDC
>of my lan and/or do the NT style domain login? I want to have it so that
>the box is locked if someone doesn't have an account on the linux machine.
>
>I may be reaching in the darkness of ignorance (mine about linux). I just
>sucessfully configured my box for DHCP last night. Anyone know how to make
>the linux box get it's IP from itself?
>
>~
>
>Nolug mailing list
>nolug@nolug.org

attached mail follows:

> Howdy.
>
> Samba can do what you want. There is a howto about samba on linuxdoc.org,
or
> if you want overkill, I've got a mirror of the O'Reilly book on my site:
>
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org/goodies/books/samba/

Thx for the link. It really explained a lot.

~

attached mail follows:

> Howdy.
>
> Samba can do what you want. There is a howto about samba on linuxdoc.org,
or
> if you want overkill, I've got a mirror of the O'Reilly book on my site:
>
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org/goodies/books/samba/

Thanks I will look up the info on samba. I had it running on static ip's
and the machine was identified on my lan. Then I set up DHCP and the lan
can't see it anymore. I have a couple ideas, I was just curious if I could
set it up to grab it's own IP address from itself.

> As far as DHCP goes, I'll let someone else filed the question... I don't
do
> DHCP, and won't until I am forced to learn it (I've used the cleint, but
> that's a trivial issue).

The server is easy to set up. And, even tho I know static is better for
servers, DHCP does seem to make things easier. If I can get the Linux box
to keep itself on the LAN (visible from win98se machines) then I will be
making that change here at work.

This is RedHat 7.1 btw in case that info is pertinent.

~

attached mail follows:

setting up a DHCP server is pretty simple actually.

But the question he's asking, I don't quite get. You want the DHCP server
on your linux box to act as a client? You can't do that.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 10:42:25AM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> Samba can do what you want. There is a howto about samba on linuxdoc.org, or
> if you want overkill, I've got a mirror of the O'Reilly book on my site:
>
> http://joeykelly.dhs.org/goodies/books/samba/
>
> As far as DHCP goes, I'll let someone else filed the question... I don't do
> DHCP, and won't until I am forced to learn it (I've used the cleint, but
> that's a trivial issue).
>
> --Joey
>

> Thou spake:
> >Does anyone have any information on how to make my linux box become the PDC
> >of my lan and/or do the NT style domain login? I want to have it so that
> >the box is locked if someone doesn't have an account on the linux machine.
> >
> >I may be reaching in the darkness of ignorance (mine about linux). I just
> >sucessfully configured my box for DHCP last night. Anyone know how to make
> >the linux box get it's IP from itself?
> >
> >~
> >
> >Nolug mailing list
> >nolug@nolug.org

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

attached mail follows:

> setting up a DHCP server is pretty simple actually.
>
> But the question he's asking, I don't quite get. You want the DHCP server
> on your linux box to act as a client? You can't do that.

Oh well. How do I get the server back on the lan then? Once DHCP was
activated, the server disappeared. Any resolution or suggestions?

~

attached mail follows:

the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> writes:

Set an appropriate static IP for the server on the LAN.

> > setting up a DHCP server is pretty simple actually.
> >
> > But the question he's asking, I don't quite get. You want the DHCP server
> > on your linux box to act as a client? You can't do that.
> >

> Oh well. How do I get the server back on the lan then? Once DHCP was
> activated, the server disappeared. Any resolution or suggestions?
>
> ~

Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com>
Broadband Services Manager (LA)
Charter Communications

attached mail follows:

> the Professor <nyghtgolem@bigplanet.com> writes:
>
> Set an appropriate static IP for the server on the LAN.

It has one. It's static IP has never changed. It just disappeared.

Under the dhcpd.conf file if you specify a domain, does the workgroup in
samba have to have that same name?

~

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

yup. have a win32 program that expired in september. Still need it to
develope some software, since they didn't do a date delta and just go by
install date and current system date, this little trick takes care of the
expiration problem.

~