archives: stupid me

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:09:26 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Howdy.

I have been wanting to get rid of the need to boot to windows for a while,
and last night I hit upon a novel way of solving my problem. I configured
Wine to use my existing C drive, and that worked fine. Until the second time
I started it, that is. Then it decided to rm -f everything in my Program
Files directory.

*sigh*

All my mail is now toast. Fortunately, I had copied all my netscape bookmarks
to work under Linux. I don't think I lost any other data,though --- I always
save stuff in C:\Downloads and C:\Joey's\ Files, etc..

I guess I'll relocate /home to hda1 and be happy with a 6 gig homedir.

attached mail follows:

Another novel way would be VMware. http://www.vmware.com/
With VMware you can boot multiple OS's simultaneously and they all talk to
each other through internal virtual network, including host OS, which could
be Linux or Win.

For example, I'm running Win2000 advanced server inside RH 7.1 (testing
purposes) They both run fine in dual monitor system. No drag and drop
between the OS's yet. ( I might be wrong with this tho. )

Petri

Petri,

I have used VMware before, but was haiving trouble getting it to run on my
current box, so I was considering wine and Plex86 as stopgaps until VMware
started behaving.

--Joey

On Saturday 29 September 2001 21:07, you wrote:
> Another novel way would be VMware. http://www.vmware.com/
> With VMware you can boot multiple OS's simultaneously and they all talk to
> each other through internal virtual network, including host OS, which could
> be Linux or Win.
>
> For example, I'm running Win2000 advanced server inside RH 7.1 (testing
> purposes) They both run fine in dual monitor system. No drag and drop
> between the OS's yet. ( I might be wrong with this tho. )
>
> Petri

Ahaa, I have no experience on any other "win emulators" for Linux.
Especially It would be nice to test something that doesn't take lots of
resources and still runs NT stuff fine. ( I don't touch 9.x things even with
the extra-long stick ) And especially OpenGL graphics must work fast too.
(I'm doing 3D animations and special F/X etc...)

btw. VMware is now getting ready to release their v.3.0, I haven't tested
that yet.

Ok, the wine newsgroup says that if you are running off an existing C: drive
and installed windows, DO NOT run eplorer.exe (windows explorer) or it will
hose your windows install. I do remember trying to run explorer.exe, and that
is when my troubles started.

Grumble grumble --- windows explorer is a pretty basic windows app. I've
since read the wine docs off winehq.com and the wine howto, and AFAIK this
was never mentioned. There is no way to know about this except by digging
through the newsgroup, apparently.

Joey Kelly wrote:

> Ok, the wine newsgroup says that if you are running off an existing C: drive
> and installed windows, DO NOT run eplorer.exe (windows explorer) or it will
> hose your windows install. I do remember trying to run explorer.exe, and that
> is when my troubles started.

Joey,

As I understand it, it doesn't actually destroy anything, it just
renames one or more directories to some garbage name (I can't
remember off hand what, but it should be apparent when you see it).
You can tell what the directory is (by its contents) and rename it
to the proper name (from linux, of course) and everything should be
back to normal.

Good luck,

Wendell

attached mail follows:

Too late, man... I cleaned the partition out...

No matter, really --- windows was crashing hourly, anyway. A reinstall was
imminent (that, or getting rid of it entirely). I would have liked to have
kept my old mail, though...