archives: decent DSL provider???

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:10:30 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

I use Telocity, now DirecTV, here in Baton Rouge and never have problems.
Unfortunately, I've heard a bad thing or two about them in other locations,
so your mileage may vary.

One good thing about Telocity, and something that they [used] to promote on
their website (although it may have changed since then), is that they don't
care what you run on your computer. In fact, they even promoted using your
home computer as a web or mail server.

Regards, Dustin

attached mail follows:

I was looking at their site this morning, actually --- they mention running
VPNs, specifically, and a static IP ---- so, I'd say they are still being
cool about it.

Also, they are running a special --- $50/mo., with the first 3 months @
$20.00. No activation or equipment fees, and no annual contract. I'm ordering
ASAP :-)

--Joey

Thou spake:
> I use Telocity, now DirecTV, here in Baton Rouge and never have problems.
> Unfortunately, I've heard a bad thing or two about them in other locations,
> so your mileage may vary.
>
> One good thing about Telocity, and something that they [used] to promote on
> their website (although it may have changed since then), is that they don't
> care what you run on your computer. In fact, they even promoted using your
> home computer as a web or mail server.
>
> Regards, Dustin

I ordered Telocity some time ago for UNO Elmwood Studio. Absolutely no
interest to BellSouth after they stood me up few months ago. I received the
modem in 2.5 weeks and it worked fine couple of days. It was down half a day
after that, and now it's been running fine for about a month.

I was impressed about much larger selection of newsgroups they have.
(comparing to @home)

However, they have some goofy mail blocking system for outgoing mail. If I
use their SMTP server, I can send mail from the computer that is connected
to modem, but not from any other computer in my local LAN. It gives the
error message about incoming mail address. (weird)

Overall first impression... A bit slower that Cox@home, but still
satisfactory. And I can always make ssh tunnel and use their newsgroups from
my @home connection.

Petri

I had two complaints with Telocity
1) service started getting really spotty. They were starting to have
long outages. This was about a year ago, though.
2) Their billing was awful. If you get into a billing disput with them,
look out. You'll never talk to a human being. I fought them by refusing to
allow a charge to my credit card.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 10:21:47AM -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> I use Telocity, now DirecTV, here in Baton Rouge and never have problems.
> Unfortunately, I've heard a bad thing or two about them in other locations,
> so your mileage may vary.
>
> One good thing about Telocity, and something that they [used] to promote on
> their website (although it may have changed since then), is that they don't
> care what you run on your computer. In fact, they even promoted using your
> home computer as a web or mail server.
>
> Regards, Dustin

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63