archives: Glad I didn't switch from Cox@Home...

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:19:38 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Funny, I'm seriously considering switching from Cox. The quality of service
has declined rapidly since @Home's money troubles began in earnest. Lots of
packet loss. My modem goes offline frequently now. I can barely use ssh
remotely now. I certainly can't listen to streaming music. I'm considering
switching to Southern Star now.

oh, and I use dhcp to get my IP now. It's no better than setting the IP
statically. Either way, I have to manually reset my equipment frequently.

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 07:40:06PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

attached mail follows:

I live few blocks from Ron, and my @home connection also works
splendidly --> I don't have to teach their tech. support morons. I received
note from them to switch into dhcp, and I did that. My IP however is still
the same as always.

I have to admit, that connection was down about 5-10 minutes last week.
Otherwise it's been up and running for 8 months now. (Time that I've been
living in this location.)

I'm using Telocity at my "work" about a mile away. Right next to the COX
main building. No cable there. (I've been promised a fiber from cox to my
building, but no timeframe) That's why I got telocity, as EMS.
Within a month or so having Telocity, it's been down occasionally. Few times
almost all day. Otherwise, it works fine too. Slower than cable, but fast
enough for getting stuff off the web and my home lan.

Petri

On Sunday 11 November 2001 12:10 pm, Pietu wrote:
> I live few blocks from Ron, and my @home connection also works
> splendidly --> I don't have to teach their tech. support morons. I
> received note from them to switch into dhcp, and I did that. My IP
> however is still the same as always.
>
> I have to admit, that connection was down about 5-10 minutes last
> week. Otherwise it's been up and running for 8 months now. (Time that
> I've been living in this location.)

I wonder if Cox has a hardware problem in Scott's neighborhood.
Scott, aren't you in the mcity1 "domain"? Pietu & I are part of
elmwd1.

> I'm using Telocity at my "work" about a mile away. Right next to the
> COX main building. No cable there. (I've been promised a fiber from
> cox to my building, but no timeframe) That's why I got telocity, as
> EMS. Within a month or so having Telocity, it's been down
> occasionally. Few times almost all day. Otherwise, it works fine too.
> Slower than cable, but fast enough for getting stuff off the web and
> my home lan.
>

> Petri

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@home.com |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| |
| "All machines, no matter how complex, are considered to be |
| besed on 6 simple elements: the lever, the pulley, the |
| wheel and axle, the screw, the wedge and the inclined |
| plane." |
| Marilyn Vos Savant |