[Nolug] [deniseo@oreilly.com: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, December 20]

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:33:55 -0600

----- Forwarded message from Denise Olliffe <deniseo@oreilly.com> -----

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:29:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Denise Olliffe <deniseo@oreilly.com>
To: scotth@scottharney.com
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, December 20

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
December 20, 2001

I'd like to wish you all a joyous holiday--and warm wishes for a
bountiful new year. This will be the last newsletter of 2001, as I will
be out of the office Dec 21 - Jan 1. I look forward to working with all
of you in 2002.

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK:
BOOK NEWS:
 - Learning Wireless Java
 - Python & XML
 - The Web Design CD Bookshelf
NEWS:
 - oreilly.com Wins Web Business Award
 - Pulling Stock Quotes into Microsoft Excel
 - ActionScript for JavaScript Programmers
 - Learning the Mac OS X Terminal: Part 1
 - Bioinformatics Meets Mac OS X
 - Learning Oracle PL/SQL? Here's What to Expect
 - Distributed Systems Topologies: Part 1
CONFERENCES:
 - Call for Papers--O'Reilly Open Source Convention, 2002

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.

OK, I'm a little behind on sending out the review copies--I know. I
promise to get caught up after the holiday.

LEARNING WIRELESS JAVA
Order Number: 2432
"Learning Wireless Java" is for Java developers who want to create
applications for the Micro Edition audience using the Connected,
Limited Device Configuration and the Mobile Information Device Profile
(MIDP). These APIs specifically for devices such as mobile phones and
pagers, allowing programmers to create MIDlet applications. This book
offers a solid introduction to J2ME and MIDP, including the
javax.microedition classes, as well as classes surrounding the features
of the various platforms that the J2ME supports
http://oreilly.com/catalog/wirelessjava/
Sample Chapter 5: MIDP GUI Programming
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/wirelessjava/chapter/ch05.html

PYTHON & XML
Order Number: 1282
Python is an ideal language for manipulating XML, and this new volume
gives you a solid foundation for using these two languages together.
Complete with practical examples that highlight common application
tasks, the book starts with the basics then quickly progresses to
complex topics, like transforming XML with XSLT and querying XML with
XPath. It also explores more advanced subjects, such as SOAP and
distributed web services. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythonxml/
Coauthor Article: Using Python and XML with Microsoft .NET My Services
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/12/03/myservices.html

THE WEB DESIGN CD BOOKSHELF
Order Number: 2718
Six best selling O'Reilly Animal Guides are now available on CD-ROM,
easily accessible and searchable with your favorite web browser:
--"HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide 4th Edition"
--"ActionScript: The Definitive Guide"
--"Information Architecture for the World Wide Web"
--"Designing Web Audio: RealAudio, MP3, Flash, and Beatnik"
--"Web Design In a Nutshell, 2nd Edition"
--AND "Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide"
As a bonus, you also get the new paperback version of "Web Design in a
Nutshell, 2nd Edition" when you purchase the CD Bookshelf.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/webcdbk/

Reminder:
Your UG discount is 20% when you buy direct from O'Reilly. Use the
DSUG discount code when ordering at http://www.oreilly.com/ or when
calling 800-998-9938.

For a list of what's coming up, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

To search our entire booklist, go to:
http://www.oreilly.com/cgi-bin/productindex

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

GENERAL INTEREST
----------------

OREILLY.COM WINS WEB BUSINESS AWARD
CIO.com honors O'Reilly & Associates as one of 50 companies thriving on
the Web, despite the dot-com debacle. Creating an online community can
be good for business, says CIO.com--if you know what you're doing.
http://www.cio.com/archive/120101/people.html

PULLING STOCK QUOTES INTO MICROSOFT EXCEL
You can keep a spreadsheet up to date by pulling stock quotes from the
Web, explains Steve Roman, author of O'Reilly's "Learning Excel Macros"
and the upcoming "Access Database Design & Programming, 3rd Edition."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/12/10/excelstocks.html

JAVASCRIPT
----------------

ACTIONSCRIPT FOR JAVASCRIPT PROGRAMMERS
Take advantage of your JavaScript knowledge within Flash's scripting
environment by knowing the two languages' similarities and differences.
To learn more, check out O'Reilly's "ActionScript: The Definitive
Guide."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2001/12/07/action.html

MAC
----------------

LEARNING THE MAC OS X TERMINAL, PART 1
The Terminal application in Mac OS X provides powerful new benefits to
traditional Mac users, and Chris Stone shows you how to get comfortable
with the Terminal. To learn more, don't miss David Pogue's "Mac OS X:
The Missing Manual."
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/terminal_one.html

BIOINFORMATICS MEETS MAC OS X
Many of the important bioinformatics applications that previously
existed only for Unix platforms are now being ported to the Macintosh,
thanks to Mac OS X and its Unix underpinnings. To learn about the
latest technologies in bioinformatics, don't miss the upcoming O'Reilly
Bioinformatics Technology Conference.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/12/14/macbio.html

ORACLE
----------------

LEARNING ORACLE PL/SQL? HERE'S WHAT TO EXPECT
Here's an inside look at what will surprise, confuse, delight, and
amaze you in Oracle PL/SQL, as revealed by Bill Pribyl, coauthor of
O'Reilly's "Learning Oracle PL/SQL."
http://oracle.oreilly.com/news/plsql_1201.html

PEER-TO-PEER
----------------

DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS TOPOLOGIES: PART 1
Nelson Minar describes the essential frameworks for distributed
networks used today and tells how Gnutella's network differs from
Napster's or SETI@Home's. For more on building distributed, Web-based
applications, check out O'Reilly's "Programming Web Services with
SOAP." http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/12/14/topologies_one.html

CALL FOR PAPERS

O'REILLY OPEN SOURCE CONVENTION
July 22-26, 2002, at the Sheraton San Diego, San Diego, CA.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Deadline for submission of proposals: March 1, 2002

This unrivaled convention is offering you the chance to have a say in what
topics are offered and discussed--so be sure to send in your proposal
for consideration. We're especially seeking presentations that invoke
open source's innovative, do-more-with-less origins, and address the
challenges of today's economic turbulence. What technologies will thrive
and help us to thrive in the future? Creating and reinvesting in community
is at the core of open source philosophy--what open source initiatives
continue to strengthen these values? Help us discover the answers.
http://conferences.oreilly.com/

Be well, and celebrate safely.

--Denise

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63