Re: [Nolug] Win popup over the net ?

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:36:37 +0000

There seems to be a new app (that I've been waiting for) called
LinNeighborhood that is a Linux port of network neighborhood that lets you
browse windows SMB shares. I haven't used it yet, but it's on my list of
things to do.

--Joey

Thou spake:
>First you need to find the NETBIOS name of the machine. do a
>"nmblookup -A ip.add.re.ss"
>You may get a few names. Just try em all in the next line.
>"smbclient -M NETBIOSNAME -I ip.add.re.ss"
>Just press <enter> if it prompts you for a password. type your
>message and ctrl-D to end. You won't know for certain if it popped
>up, however.
>
>similarly you can do:
>"smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME -I ip.add.re.ss" to list any shares.
>If you're real lucky ;) you can do
>smbclient //NETBOISNAME/SHARENAME -I ip.add.re.ss" and actually
>peruse and download/upload from the drive share. smbclient acts
>like command-line ftp on windows file shares.
>
>On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 11:12:54PM -0600, Pietu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was interested about the winpopup over the net, discussed at Superior
>> meeting tonight.
>> What was the command line string to do it over the net ?
>>
>> Petri

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin