archives: telocity and email question

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:16:57 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Hey all.

I am having a problem with email on a telocity link, and want to know if
anyone on telocity is having any problems.

Ok, foolish move, but I have telocity handling DNS for a domain, and for the
last week (ever since the outage Friday week ago), email for users on the
domain has been sporadic at best. Matthew hasn't received any mail for 36
hours, in fact. I don't get a lot of mail for my other domains, but one
client we have gets probably a hundred emails a day, and they haven't
complained so far. I'll probably give them a call Monday about it.

Ok, it could be on my end, but I have zero log entries, and zero emails to
root about any problems. Well, I take that back, root gets mailed about 2
remote recipients being bad users (which I think are probably not related to
the problem at hand), or some such, but nothing about any incoming mail.

Any ideas?

attached mail follows:

On Sat, Oct 27, 2001 at 09:34:58PM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:

> I am having a problem with email on a telocity link, and want to know if
> anyone on telocity is having any problems.

I think the problem here is with Telocity's DNS. I *know* that some
email has been delayed, but I have yet to have any reports from
mailer-daemons or users about mail not being delivered.

--
JID: carson@theoretic.com

attached mail follows:

That's what I suspected. At any rate, one of my clients is getting business
DSL this week, and I will use Matthew's box and this new one I'm putting up
(I have great leeway as to what I do on their equipment --- I built their
system 2 years ago when I was full-time with them) to secondary for each
other. I expect the problem to go away once everyhting is switched over.

Thanks :)

--Joey

> I think the problem here is with Telocity's DNS. I *know* that some
> email has been delayed, but I have yet to have any reports from
> mailer-daemons or users about mail not being delivered.
>

> --
> JID: carson@theoretic.com

attached mail follows:

If telocity is handling DNS for you, maybe check to make sure they have a
valid
MX record for your domain.

[root@mindy /root]# dig augdata.com mx

; <<>> DiG 9.1.3 <<>> augdata.com mx
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;augdata.com. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
augdata.com. 43200 IN MX 10 mail.augdata.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
augdata.com. 43200 IN NS ns1.augdata.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.augdata.com. 43200 IN A 64.192.12.69
ns1.augdata.com. 43200 IN A 64.192.12.69

btw, how did you manage to pursuade telocity to do dns? I've been pleading
w/ them for months to load a secondary for my zone plus in-addr.arpa,,,but
have yet to find anyone a telocity with a clue :-/ .

regards,
/m/

--
http://www.augdata.com