archives: telocity / direct-tv services

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 18:16:17 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin

attached mail follows:

Part of the Direct-TV DSL Service Agreement:

"UPON CANCELLATION OF YOUR SERVICE, CUSTOMER WILL BE OBLIGATED TO RETURN THE GATEWAY EQUIPMENT OR WILL BE CHARGED $499. IN THE EVENT YOU CANCEL YOUR SERVICE PRIOR TO COMPLETION OF THE 12TH MONTH OF SERVICE, A FEE OF UP TO $139.99 WILL BE CHARGED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR EARLY TERMINATION, SUSPENSION, OR DISCONNECTION OF BASIC DIRECT-TV DSL SERVICE. "

What is this bologna?? I think it is still better than BellSouth.Net's Service though. What are the operating speeds? I get 1.5 mbps down and 256k up currently. And finally, will it work in East New Orleans? Let me know. I'm interested in this service...

attached mail follows:

And it doesn't matter if you go over 12 months, they still hit your card
for that amount. trust me.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 05:17:12PM -0700, Bryant Stewart wrote:

> Part of the Direct-TV DSL Service Agreement:
>
> "UPON CANCELLATION OF YOUR SERVICE, CUSTOMER WILL BE OBLIGATED TO RETURN THE GATEWAY EQUIPMENT OR WILL BE CHARGED $499. IN THE EVENT YOU CANCEL YOUR SERVICE PRIOR TO COMPLETION OF THE 12TH MONTH OF SERVICE, A FEE OF UP TO $139.99 WILL BE CHARGED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR EARLY TERMINATION, SUSPENSION, OR DISCONNECTION OF BASIC DIRECT-TV DSL SERVICE. "
>
> What is this bologna?? I think it is still better than BellSouth.Net's Service though. What are the operating speeds? I get 1.5 mbps down and 256k up currently. And finally, will it work in East New Orleans? Let me know. I'm interested in this service...

attached mail follows:

I have been using Telocity (Direct-TV) on several installations over the last three years with very few problems. All of my installations include a Linux machine as gateway for network (one with over 70 users), and the speeds are very good. I keep all the original boxes in case I have to return the equipment. Installing the equipment is a breeze, and it is even easier to install under Linux. I like the idea of having an IP address as some of my customers use the Linux machine as FTP servers, very convenient. As far as hacking goes, I remember only one instance when we had Telnet going for a test and somebody else dropped an egg on it.

Carlos