Re: [Nolug] Tons of DHCPREQUEST messages in syslog

From: HSI System Engineer <pcguy1_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:03:50 -0600

Do you want the long or short version? The company or the down to earth
version? VBG... :-)

The service as it is marketed and sold is for residential use, and therefore
there should be no reason to offer IP leases for a period of time longer
than four hours. If the computer remains on-line the lease will renew. As
it currently stands, even if the computer goes off-line the same IP may be
available once it returns on-line.

This is the true way the @Home network was supposed to work. Because of the
management aspect of a dynamic network @Home did not enforce the dynamic
policy.

As a side note if you add to all of the above the fact that ARIN (the entity
that manages IP assignments) is now strictly enforcing the IP utilization
and assignment of IP blocks. All ISPs will be closely monitoring and
managing the use of all public IPS.

I'm sure this situation won't make some people happy. Unfortunately, we are
now all paying for the woes of @Home and other ISPs.