Re: [Nolug] Tons of DHCPREQUEST messages in syslog

From: HSI System Engineer <pcguy1_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:38:27 -0600

On 1/8/02 10:30 PM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@home.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 January 2002 10:03 pm, HSI System Engineer wrote:
>> Do you want the long or short version? The company or the down to
>> earth version? VBG... :-)
>>
>> The service as it is marketed and sold is for residential use, and
>> therefore there should be no reason to offer IP leases for a period
>> of time longer than four hours. If the computer remains on-line the
>> lease will renew. As it currently stands, even if the computer goes
>> off-line the same IP may be available once it returns on-line.
>>
>> This is the true way the @Home network was supposed to work. Because
>> of the management aspect of a dynamic network @Home did not enforce
>> the dynamic policy.
>>
>> As a side note if you add to all of the above the fact that ARIN (the
>> entity that manages IP assignments) is now strictly enforcing the IP
>> utilization and assignment of IP blocks. All ISPs will be closely
>> monitoring and managing the use of all public IPS.
>>
>> I'm sure this situation won't make some people happy. Unfortunately,
>> we are now all paying for the woes of @Home and other ISPs.
>
> Is this to make things more fine grained, or "highly granular"
> as us CompSci-types like to say? Is this so cox.net will only
> need a smaller block of IP addresses, since Joe AverageUser
> turns his computer off at night, and doesn't use it every night
> and thus you can reclaim his address?
Initially? Yes. ARIN was and continues to be very strict about the IP
blocks they assign. We do have additional IP blocks reserved but we have to
prove our management of the initial blocks first. Lots of red tape and
paperwork. I guess if they were in Louisiana we could just slip them some
cash. Ahhhhh, I mean obtain the correct permit. :o)