Re: [Nolug] Tons of DHCPREQUEST messages in syslog

From: Scott Harney <scott_harney_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 09 Jan 2002 06:52:28 -0600

HSI System Engineer <pcguy1@home.com> writes:

> Initially? Yes. ARIN was and continues to be very strict about the IP
> blocks they assign. We do have additional IP blocks reserved but we have to
> prove our management of the initial blocks first. Lots of red tape and
> paperwork. I guess if they were in Louisiana we could just slip them some
> cash. Ahhhhh, I mean obtain the correct permit. :o)

yep. pain in the rump getting IPs.

on another note though, from an engineering perspective, I see no
advantage to having four hour lease times. If anything, it keeps your
DHCP server very busy.

Also there is a compelling reason to have longer lease times and it's
related to the above. Let's say you're running a cable modem system
with 1 week lease times. Then you find yourself running short and
ARIN's taking it usual sweet time to get you some new pools. You did
the right thing, you waited till you were 80% utilized but now ARIN
can move fast enough and you're putting in modems like crazy. Well
that longer lease time is like a little emergency buffer zone. Cut it
back to four hours temporarily. In 24 hours, depending on the amount
of modems you have at there, you'll gain hundreds of IPs back. It buys
you time. I've run through this procedure several times.

--
Scott Harney <scott_harney@yahoo.com>
Broadband Services Manager (LA)