archives: scripting item

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:58:54 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

> Do you mean a script that just runs through a list of executables
> and
> pipes the input directly to the executable from your script while
> allowing
> the user to watch? Does your executable handle pipes okay?
>
> ie: echo 5 | ./04

well, hmmmm. It handles pipes ok I guess (reads from STDIN), but it
doesnt echo back out the input that the script gives it. I guess I would
have to code a local echo into the thing, which the TA will look oddly
on. BTW, I hope this has nothing to do with it, but this is running on
some odd sparc I dont have a whole lot of experience with.

Desired behavior:

(58) gurtler@pegasus> ./test_case | ./04
                 Enter number: 5
5^2 is 25
(60) gurtler@pegasus>

Current behavior:

(58) gurtler@pegasus> ./test_case | ./04
                 Enter number:
5^2 is 25
(60) gurtler@pegasus>

.

attached mail follows:

Hey,

    Really basic item here. Is there any way to have a script interact
with the users shell directly and visibly? For example:

   (58) gurtler@pegasus> ./test_case
   (59) gurtler@pegasus> ./04
                Enter number: 5
    5^2 is 25
   (60) gurtler@pegasus>

    Where the test_case is a perl script or something, which just pipes
text ("./04\n5\n") to the user's shell. It is necessary for the
interaction to be visible. Any ideas? or am I damned to type these test
cases over and over? Thanks.

                - Fritz

-

attached mail follows:

Do you mean a script that just runs through a list of executables and
pipes the input directly to the executable from your script while allowing
the user to watch? Does your executable handle pipes okay?

ie: echo 5 | ./04

"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." --Steve Wozniak

*^*^*^*
Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 anencephalous@juno.com wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Really basic item here. Is there any way to have a script interact
> with the users shell directly and visibly? For example:
>
> (58) gurtler@pegasus> ./test_case
> (59) gurtler@pegasus> ./04
> Enter number: 5
> 5^2 is 25
> (60) gurtler@pegasus>
>
> Where the test_case is a perl script or something, which just pipes
> text ("./04\n5\n") to the user's shell. It is necessary for the
> interaction to be visible. Any ideas? or am I damned to type these test
> cases over and over? Thanks.
>
> - Fritz
>

> -

attached mail follows:

Fritz,

Are you looking to echo a question to the screen, and wait for user input? If
so, take a look at:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-10.html

Good luck!

--Joey