archives: event engine design

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:15:13 +0000

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: [Nolug] event engine design
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:36:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: Michael <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
To: members@mlug.missouri.edu, nolug@nolug.org, kplug-list@kernel-panic.org

I'm working on an event engine for a multi-user online game I'm writing
(as sort of a self-education project) and was wondering if anyone had
suggestions or knew of good references on the subject?

I think I need an event queue that my program loops over and possibly a
trigger list that will run any matching registered triggers after each
event runs -- probably just adding an event to the queue from each
activated trigger.

All game objects are stored in a database when not active inside the
engine and can be loaded from / dumped to disk as XML. The basic purpose
of this is to make it easy to write tools to make maps and objects and to
allow less memory overhead. Also the game server can be rewritten in C/C++
later (is in Python now) without having to change the data format. The
game is essentially a MUD that communicates to clients through XML
messaging.

*^*^*^*
Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://www.nomadphones.org