archives: problems with SuSE 7.3

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:48:11 +0000

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Subject: [Nolug] problems with SuSE 7.3
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 19:56:30 +0000
From: Joey Kelly <looseduk@ductape.net>
To: nolug@nolug.org

Hey all,

As some of you know, I use SuSE pretty much exclusively. I have been
monitoring the semi-official irc channel for SuSE, and there seems to be a
few nagging problems with their new release. I did a 7.3 install, and ran
into a couple of them myself. Little things that should be checked before a
freeze, etc., but weren't. There's even a bug in YaST that makes it fault
during package install.

Although no one has come out and said it, I suspect that these problems are
due to the troubles that SuSE has had recently (to the tune of a $45M bailout
by IBM).

OTOH, 7.2 has been wonderful, and there were few problems reported. I've been
running 7.2 as my primary OS at home for several months now, and am totally
pleased with it.

If someone is considering buying a boxed distro, my recommendation is to
stick with 7.2 for now. Too bad, really, because there is a lot of new stuff
that comes with 7.3, and the default desktop looks a lot better than previous
releases. However, if you are doing an FTP install, and don't mind the
hassles and work-arounds, 7.3 might be for you.

*sigh*

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin