archives: next meating (we want to be ready this time)

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:47:08 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

Hey all,

Scott and I decided tonight that for the next meeting, we (meaning *me*) will
do an install demonstration. I'm going to use SuSE or Mandrake (or whatever
else I find between now and then). Probably SuSE, though. Or NetBSD. Or...

The whole shebang --- booting off a floppy, partitioning, choosing packages,
installing them, setting up accounts, setting up a network and various
servers, configuring X, playing Foul Eggs, you name it.

We need to get things rolling again --- we haven't had a really good meeting
since May. We have a few new people that have started coming the last few
months, and they could really benefit from having all the old (read:
experienced) crew out for the meetings.

We also need to line up ppl to do talks for upcoming meetings, as well. If
anyone is interested in giving a talk on a topic (anything, I mean anything,
that you think is cool, and you are pretty good at it, will suffice as a
meeting topic), please speak up. We will also take requests, if there is
something you want to learn about and you think it would be a good topic.

Scott also mentioned something about wanting to see other things besides
"internet" presented at the meetings. We've done security, setting up
servers, etc. but would like to see games, programming topics, office
applications, etc. covered at the meetings. Networking is cool, but there are
other things to talk about besides connectivity.

attached mail follows:

Topics proposal:

I'm not programmer, far from it....
However, I'd like to get some basic info/examples about common tasks helping
programming/scripting things. Nothing too advanced and mathematical.
for example, shell scripting, perhaps perl, for web I'd like to see some
PHP.

I know there are books for all these, but I have a problem with reading and
staying awake.

Petri

The problem is we've done these topics repeatedly. We need to get some
new topics going. If someone wants to present these, however, please do.
I've done php. the notes from the meeting are linked on the nolug
website.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 12:22:21AM -0500, Pietu wrote:
> Topics proposal:
>
> I'm not programmer, far from it....
> However, I'd like to get some basic info/examples about common tasks helping
> programming/scripting things. Nothing too advanced and mathematical.
> for example, shell scripting, perhaps perl, for web I'd like to see some
> PHP.
>
> I know there are books for all these, but I have a problem with reading and
> staying awake.
>
> Petri

Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63