archives: samba

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:49:30 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

Im setting up a RedHat 7.1 box and Im on a network w/ 2 other computers but
I cant get Samba to function right? I have the internet working but I cant
see the lan from the linux box and the linux box from the windows 98 boxes.
I have managed to have the drive show up in network neighborhood "Tommy
(Samba Server)" but I can not access it. Im using a linksys router on @home.
If someone could get back to me about how to fix this please do so asap!

Thanks,
Jeff Lee

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

ok. I think I figured out my main problem.

Samba doesn't show up in the 'ps -ax' list.

nmbd -d does, but not smbd. and if I do a smb restart smb fails, but nmbd
works.

So, I am puzzled. testparms shows me that my configuration files are ok.
But when my windoze pooters try to find the PDC it fails. Is it possible
that Rh7.1 doesn't have the latest version of Samba?

How do I tell which version I have?

I will go download 7.2 to see if it has an updated version of samba and
other fun stuff... but I am still puzzled why samba stopped working when I
set up dhcp.

I have a thought. *testing it*
*still testing*
oops. rebooting.
damn. no go.

I just tried to take dhcp out of the picture and it still won't load. why
does it say ok if it isn't loading?

anyone have any ideas?
~

attached mail follows:

> Im setting up a RedHat 7.1 box and Im on a network w/ 2 other computers but
> I cant get Samba to function right? I have the internet working but I cant
> see the lan from the linux box and the linux box from the windows 98 boxes.
> I have managed to have the drive show up in network neighborhood "Tommy
> (Samba Server)" but I can not access it. Im using a linksys router on @home.
> If someone could get back to me about how to fix this please do so asap!

I think you might have to add yourself to the /etc/smbpasswd file. For
example, my username is 'mikey' on the *nix box. Now I have to add
myself to smbpasswd. Type....

#>smbadduser mikey:mikey
               ^ ^
Linux UserID___| |____ You samba ID or what you log into Windoze as.

#>smbpasswd mikey
SMB password: <----password that you use in Windoze goes here.
Retype SMB password: <-----retype your password

...and that should sort out your problems.

--
Since-beer-leekz,       |If this were an actual emergency,
Mikey                   |we would have all fled in terror, .

attached mail follows:

Yes the two windows boxes can ping each other
How would I fix whatever is wrong then b/c its not "working" if I cant
access the drives... seeing that is what is supposed to do, Right?

Message: 8
On Tuesday 16 October 2001 06:42 pm, Jeff Lee wrote:
>Im setting up a RedHat 7.1 box and Im on a network w/ 2 other
>computers but I cant get Samba to function right? I have the internet
>working but I cant see the lan from the linux box and the linux box
>from the windows 98 boxes. I have managed to have the drive show up
>in network neighborhood "Tommy (Samba Server)" but I can not access
>it. Im using a linksys router on @home. If someone could get back to
>me about how to fix this please do so asap!

Since the WinBoxen can see Tommy, that means the internal net
works. Can the 2 Winboxen ping each other?

attached mail follows:

No I was wrong I cant ping the windows boxes, 162.198.1.1 does not work? But
I can see the windows network and connect to ftp from windows and connect to
ftp from linux using the main ip not one of the lan ips.

attached mail follows:

attached mail follows:

Then its your internal LAN routing issue. Does your windows and Linux box
have a router defined? Does each machine have two NICs?