archives: Opportunity

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:02:53 +0000

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.

attached mail follows:

Guys,
    I had an accidental but very exciting conversation today with the networking head for Orleans Parish schools. He is new to the job, having recently come from Baton Rouge. He is trying to impose some sort of order on the chaos which has existed up to now. He explained the following situation and asked for input. I told him I would ask y'all. (He is familiar with Linux, but for political reasons can't put it into the school system as a whole.)
    A number of schools have set up their own unauthorized LANs with local servers. It's my understanding that there are several different versions of Windows being used on these. In some cases, whoever set them up put in DHCP servers, but either didn't know or didn't care about how to make sure that acceptable IP addresses were being issued. As a result, several are giving addresses which conflict with those coming from the school board's central or school-based servers. This causes conflicts and networ
ing problems. Since some of these have been running for quite a while, he doesn't want to have to order them to disconnect their LANs from the Internet. The angry outcries would add to his woes. I suggested that he require those LANs to use static addresses, but he said that then somebody would need to keep a database of assigned IP addresses, adding further to the chaos.
    Anybody have any ideas about a strandardized way to bring the LANs under control? (Or any other good suggestions, while I've got his ear?)
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com

attached mail follows:

make littl freesco routers and NAT through the freesco to "hide" the networks
from the larger LAN. Or use switches and VLANs. Or get em fixed to used
different DHCP addressing which should be transparent anyway.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 09:05:27PM -0500, Dave Prentice wrote:
> Guys,
> I had an accidental but very exciting conversation today with the networking head for Orleans Parish schools. He is new to the job, having recently come from Baton Rouge. He is trying to impose some sort of order on the chaos which has existed up to now. He explained the following situation and asked for input. I told him I would ask y'all. (He is familiar with Linux, but for political reasons can't put it into the school system as a whole.)
> A number of schools have set up their own unauthorized LANs with local servers. It's my understanding that there are several different versions of Windows being used on these. In some cases, whoever set them up put in DHCP servers, but either didn't know or didn't care about how to make sure that acceptable IP addresses were being issued. As a result, several are giving addresses which conflict with those coming from the school board's central or school-based servers. This causes conflicts and netw
rking problems. Since some of these have been running for quite a while, he doesn't want to have to order them to disconnect their LANs from the Internet. The angry outcries would add to his woes. I suggested that he require those LANs to use static addresses, but he said that then somebody would need to keep a database of assigned IP addresses, adding further to the chaos.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
 PGP Key fingerprint = 6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2 59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63

attached mail follows:

Have him change the system to a private IP scheme such as 10.0.0.0 assign an
IP network/subnet to a school. This will permit him to give the schools as
many IPs as they need and they can even set up their on DCHP systems that
will not interfere with the rest of the network. I am making the assumption
that he also does the routers for the school system and should be able to
configure a route for the internal and internet to work properly. Since
this would be done across the board it shouldn't rustle any political
feathers and offers a cool solution. The biggest problem would be the
internet, if each school has it's own connection or goes through a central
hub for monitoring/filtering but this is an easy fix if you are familiar
with routing and working with a private network.
Just my two cents...

[...]
or school-based servers. This causes conflicts and networking problems.
Since some of these have been running for quite a while, he doesn't want to
have to order them to disconnect their LANs from the Internet. The angry
outcries would add to his woes. I suggested that he require those LANs to
use static addresses, but he said that then somebody would need to keep a
database of assigned IP addresses, adding further to the chaos.
    Anybody have any ideas about a strandardized way to bring the LANs under
control? (Or any other good suggestions, while I've got his ear?)
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com <mailto:prentice@instruction.com>

attached mail follows:

P.S. to my previous message: I can't make the meeting Thursday. My mom just
had gallbladder surgery and I need to stay with her. If y'all come up with
any ideas, please email them.
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com