Re: [Nolug] AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:29:10 -0600

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:04:24 -0600 Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net> wrote:
> At 10:41 AM 1/19/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 10:28:08 +0000 Joey Kelly <looseduk@ductape.net> wrote:
> > > This is bad....
> > >
> > > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5064-2002Jan18.html
> >
> >Why *buy* RH? License it, or make your own RH-based distro.
>
> Well, they would get a head start as well as numerous existing contracts.

Buying it as a standard Mergers & Aqusitions deal, I can see,
even though RH only earned $.01 per share.
However, "they would get a head start"?? How? It's freely re-
distributable & modifyable. Go down to CompUSA and buy a copy
off the shelf. You get the binaries + source code, don't you?
How much farther ahead can you get? If you want to see future
plans, see what they are doing in their development tree. It's
all in the open.

Now, if they want to buy a stable of OSS programers, that's some-
thing else. However, there are other ways to do it than buying
RH.

HOWEVER, most coprporate-type MBA drones know nothing of generating
growth from within, only the quick-fix of buying other companies.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |