Re: [Nolug] AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

From: Dustin Puryear <dpuryear_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:16:35 -0600

At 11:29 AM 1/19/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:04:24 -0600 Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net> wrote:
> > At 10:41 AM 1/19/2002 -0600, you wrote:

> > >Why *buy* RH? License it, or make your own RH-based distro.
> >
> > Well, they would get a head start as well as numerous existing contracts.
>
>Buying it as a standard Mergers & Aqusitions deal, I can see,
>even though RH only earned $.01 per share.
>However, "they would get a head start"?? How? It's freely re-
>distributable & modifyable. Go down to CompUSA and buy a copy
>off the shelf. You get the binaries + source code, don't you?
>How much farther ahead can you get? If you want to see future
>plans, see what they are doing in their development tree. It's
>all in the open.

AOL will be acquiring the existing goodwill for Red Hat as well as talent.
There is a lot more to an acquisition of this nature than just buying Red
Hat's product.

>Now, if they want to buy a stable of OSS programers, that's some-
>thing else. However, there are other ways to do it than buying
>RH.
>
>HOWEVER, most coprporate-type MBA drones know nothing of generating
>growth from within, only the quick-fix of buying other companies.

Unless I'm mistaken, AOL seems to be doing rather well in terms of
generating income on a consistent basis.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams