Re: [Nolug] AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 12:22:36 -0600

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:43:56 -0600 Bob Strickland <bob23@innocent.com> wrote:
> I think that in buying RH, they're not just buying the OS, they're buying the
> business, and both the business talent as well as the technical talent.
> OpenSource is a (relatively) new business model, one that not many people
> have been able to make work. The folks at RH have managed to do it, and I
> think that does more to make them valuable as an aqusition than anything else.
>
> I just hope that IF this happens, that AOH doesn't f__k RH like they did
> Netscape.

That's the worry that I originally expressed:
> How long do you think it would be before those corporate dweebs
> squashed the aggressive spirit, or sold out to MS, and thus effectively
> shut RH down (i.e. fired ac and the OSS developers)?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |