Re: [Nolug] Cox: grrrr....

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:57:59 -0600

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002 16:57:55 -0600 HSD System Engineer <pcguy1@home.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:48:22 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >Changing my IP address in the middle of the day. Simply restarting
> >eth0 doesn't work, so I have to go over and reboot it. Since it's
> >my firewall off in the corner, it's a pain in the tuckus...
> >
> >Chuck The Cox Dude: is this new policy, or just growing pains?
> >

> It is a little of both. Your lease should be at least 24 hours as of
> Thursday. It will be extended more very soon. Boy, am I glad this
> conversion is over. Now I can work on the background issues. Anyone
> experiencing anything or seeing anything strange that I should look
> at???

Hi, Charles.

So, every time the lease expires, will the IP change? It hasn't
changed since the 24th. That's a good sign...

On the 18th, the link (down to the "modem") was down for 6 hours;
on the 23rd, it was down for 8 hours, and yesterday, while the
"last mile" link stayed up, a traceroute showed that everything
died after 2 hops. Before that, smtp+pop were down for 24+ hours.
Also, response has been spotty.

Overall, I'm patient, since I know what a big cutover this was,
but I hope things start to smooth out soon...

Any network guy: why do I have to reboot my firewall when the IP
changes? "./network restart" doesn't work.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |