Re: [Nolug] gpg key is now inaccurate

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:54:12 -0600

Hi Ron,

Well, it depends. Do you have any signatures on your GPG key? If not,
I'd generate a new key, sign it with the old key, then revoke your
initial key. That's all assuming you've distributed your key to people
or keyservers. If not, just create a new one, revoke the old one, and
just call it done.

If your key does have signatures on it, it might be better to just
create another ID on the same key, make it the primary, and use that.
That's what I did with the following key:

pub 1024R/2BFEF849 1995-03-06 Peter M Kahle Jr. <pkahle@pobox.com>
uid Peter M Kahle Jr. <pkahle@hubcap.clemson.edu>

You can also remove the pre-existing IDs from your key, but if your key
is on a keyserver, there's pretty much no way to get that into the
keyserver, so it'll re-add the ID when you refresh the key from your
server, and anyone else will see multiple IDs when they download from
the server.
Hope that helps, feel free to ask for more specifics.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 01:52:06AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> My key was created when I had an @home address. Now that I've got
> an @cox address, how do I change things?
>
> "$ gpg --edit ron.l.johnson@home.com" didn't seem to help any.
> Must I delete this userid and create a new one?
>
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. - how was Thursday's meeting?
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
> | |
> | 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4 !
> ! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'. |
> ! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri. !
> ! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom. |

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||    http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/   ||