Re: [Nolug] root an NT machine

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 18:14:55 +0000

Thanks.

Actually, here is what I found:

1. Find a machine that you know the admin password on, and make rescue disks.
Carry that disk to the box you need to root, pop in the NT CD, boot and
choose repair, and deselect everything except security repair. The box, when
finished, will have the passwords from the other box. This is what my vendor
recommended I do.

Note: I haven't tried this (didn't have to), but one thing that sticks out is
if your accounts one one machine don't match the accounts on the other one.
Definitely something to consider.

2. Do something like http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ to actually
root the box. This method has hardware issues, which I ran into. Apparently,
the sam info is encrypted, and can't be edited nicely. Someone told me once
that the file could simply be deleted, but I haven't tried that (but I will,
one day, to see if it works).

--Joey

Thou spake:
>Joey,
>
>I remember you asked about rooting an NT machine. Here's some info:
>
>http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s=201&a=24754,00.asp
>

>Another way might be to recompile a linux kernel with ntfs support on a
>floppy, boot the nt machine and edit the password file.

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.