Re: [Nolug] Inexpensive Domain Name Registrations/DNS

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:03:56 +0000

Eddie,

Um, since you brought it up, why are you convinced that Network Solutions is
worth $35/year? What value do you perceive that paying them more gets you?

Heh, the reason I ask is because I am an OpenNic (http://opennic.unrated.net)
member, and we have had a number of discussions about this very issue. I'm
interested in what others think about NetSol.

Dave, many local companies try to charge up to $50/mo. for hosting. If you've
only paid $15 monthy, I'd say that was fair. I normally use he.net in
California for $10/mo. for 5MB, so $15 isn't out of line. I don't know much
about directnic (I haven't used them... yet, anyway). That said, now that I
have DSL, I am willing to host low- to medium-traffic sites on my stuff, for
cheap.

Thou spake:
>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Dave Prentice wrote:
>> Joey,
>> My creation website, http://www.originsresource.org, has been hosted
>> by a company in Italy for several years, for $14.95 a month. I didn't see
>> a contact phone number for http://www.directnic.com/, but it looks like
>> they only charge $15 for a whole year of bannerless hosting. Am I reading
>> it correctly? If so, I guess I've been getting ripped off.
>
>Is this hosting, or just domain registration? I'm quite unhappy with
>Dotster if that helps any. I'd rather spend the $35 for NetSol. I have
>two domains still with them and about 4 with Dotster, and the extra cash
>is worth it for NetSol....

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.