Re: [2] [Nolug] Exporting a session with IRIX

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:34:47 -0500

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:05:05AM -0500, bad-magic-number wrote:
> On the date of 4/8/2002 11:11:01 PM , Peter Kahle <pkahle@pobox.com>
> spoke:
> >
> >On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 11:08:43AM +0000, Joey Kelly wrote:
> >> I haven't done this yet (but I want to), but AFAIK, one of the
> >> selling points of X is that you can transport your desktop to
> >> another machine. Now, how to do this securely?
> >
> > ssh -X remotemachine xterm
> > will give you an SSH connection to the remote box, and will start a
> > remote xterm on it that will display on your current machine. I think
> > the -f flag tells it to fork to the background once you've
> > authenticated.
>
> Could one use
>
> X -query <x-server-hostname> ?
>
> This similar to the method used by X terminals on startup.
>
> Jeremy

 Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention the reason to use SSH. all the X protocol
 stuff is transfered within SSH-encrypted pipes. It slows stuff down,
 but is as secure as SSH. I'll let you decide how secure you think that
 is.

> ---
> www.fluorine.org

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||   http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/   ||