Re: [Nolug] internet phone calls

From: Joey Kelly <looseduk_at_ductape.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 20:44:49 +0000

FWI, Cox is beta-testing POTS over their cable TV wires. I saw these units
last year in Luling, if I remember right. They chose Luling to beta test
because if it was a flop, then hey, it's just Luling, so who cares ;-)

I suppose that the tests went OK, and further assume that they are going to
start rolling it out here in the Big City eventually.

BTW, no, this is not VoIP --- it's actual POTS, with nice 90V stickers all
over the place warning the regular cable and HSD technicians that they DO NOT
TOUCH, etc. I attended one of their tech briefings when I worked at MasTec
last spring.

--Joey

Thou spake:
>I've been a VoIP wannabe for a long time. I have
>tried the latest version of
>Net2Phone CommCenter over Charter cable broadband and
>quality still sucks.
>
>There is a company called Anyuser (www.anyuser.com)
>that offers IP telephony for
>$6.50/mo base fee + a per-minute rate. There is a
>figure of merit used to judge
>call quality (can't remember what it's called). POTS
>is rated at 4.0; Anyuser
>claims their system delivers 3.9. You have to use one
>of their IP telephone
>devices to make calls; apparently it has builtin call
>cleanup hardware.
>
>The big problem from my standpoint is: I want to do
>away with dialup service
>entirely, even for incoming phone calls. I have yet
>to find a VoIP provider
>that allows you to accept calls from people who have a
>plain old phone (Anyuser
>has not yet responded to me on this point). You can
>call them, but they can't
>call you. Some company's websites claim that this
>service is "coming soon", but
>I think it is a matter of the local phone companies
>being unwilling or unable to
>route calls to IP telephone numbers. Maybe I'm wrong
>on this point; someone in
>NOLUG-land might be able to clarify the issue.
>
>M.R.F.
>
>--- Matthew <matthew@patientcarerx.com> wrote:
>> Is anyone familiar with the company Varonage. They
>> have an unlimited nation
>> wide long distance internet phone system that allows
>> you to use your normal
>> phone over your DSL connection. If this service
>> works as well as advertised
>> this would save me a lot of money. For geeks like
>> us this could also be a
>> means of making a few coins on the side by hooking
>> these systems up for
>> friends.
>>
>> Their international long distance rates are also
>> very reasonable. What do
>> you guys think about the service they were profiled
>> in Time this week. Time
>> link
>
>http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020415-227531,00.html
>
>> and the company link is
>> http://www.vonage.com/digitalvoice/rates.phtml .
>>
>> The only question I have is will this work over a
>> cable modem or only over a
>> DSL? Joey your customers might go for this service.
>>
>> Matt

http://joeykelly.dhs.org
"When Government fears the people, it's liberty.
When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Ich möchte ein Berliner.
It's perl.  If it can't be done in one line
you've got the wrong definition of line.