Re: [Nolug] internet phone calls

From: Michael Flora <michaelrflora_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 17:24:10 -0700 (PDT)

I've been a VoIP wannabe for a long time. I have
tried the latest version of
Net2Phone CommCenter over Charter cable broadband and
quality still sucks.

There is a company called Anyuser (www.anyuser.com)
that offers IP telephony for
$6.50/mo base fee + a per-minute rate. There is a
figure of merit used to judge
call quality (can't remember what it's called). POTS
is rated at 4.0; Anyuser
claims their system delivers 3.9. You have to use one
of their IP telephone
devices to make calls; apparently it has builtin call
cleanup hardware.

The big problem from my standpoint is: I want to do
away with dialup service
entirely, even for incoming phone calls. I have yet
to find a VoIP provider
that allows you to accept calls from people who have a
plain old phone (Anyuser
has not yet responded to me on this point). You can
call them, but they can't
call you. Some company's websites claim that this
service is "coming soon", but
I think it is a matter of the local phone companies
being unwilling or unable to
route calls to IP telephone numbers. Maybe I'm wrong
on this point; someone in
NOLUG-land might be able to clarify the issue.

M.R.F.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101020415-227531,00.html