Re: [Nolug] internet phone calls

From: Michael <mogmios_at_mlug.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:19:45 -0500 (CDT)

I've been making phone calls online for years even over a normal modem
with free software. Speakfreely isn't to bad. If your paranoid you can
even get into encrypted calling etc. My experience is that they aren't bad
but that there can be a slight delay even across town if your other end
has a strange/long network route from you. It is also a bit uncomfortable
IMO using speakers/microphone to chat.. I perfer using some sort of phone
form factor but that is an easy thing to hack together. Dialing can also
be annoying sometimes but IM/presence programs help a lot if your program
supports them.

For international calls my experience is that Net phone calls are much
clearer and nicer than POTS. For that purpose Netphone is a killer app
IMO.

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it.

Michael McGlothlin <mogmios@mlug.missouri.edu>
http://mlug.missouri.edu/~mogmios/projects/