[Nolug] Re: Computers vs. The Ways Of Yore

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 07 May 2002 22:15:38 -0500

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 16:49, Joey Kelly wrote:

> Thou spake:
> <snip>
> Well, I understand where you're coming from (maybe because I'm a fogey too?),
> but the point isn't about whether we ought to have boxen in the schoolen, but
> whose OS we ought to be running on said boxen.

Yes, better to have OSS than a raft of expensive, proprietary
products, but you save even _more_ money if you don't have
any computers in the classroom in the 1st place. High School
"technical" (like what Dave teaches) and "that-which-was-typing"
and programming classes are the only places I can see where
computers really benefit students.

The schools would save on capital costs like computers and
wiring all the classrooms, plus expenses like electricity
(the PCs plus extra air conditioning) and telecom charges
(for T1s and the like).

Can you tell that I'd rather have a kid learn Latin (how
I wish that my school still taught it when I was there) rather
than HTML?

> - --Joey
> >Am I the only person who's education didn't suffer because
> >I wasn't exposed to computers starting in nursery school?
> >
> >Am I the only person who went to a college prep highscool
> >and was deprived because I couldn't surf the internet instead
> >of actually (triple-gasp!!) having to read BOOKS in the library
> >when researching assignments? (WordStar 2.x on a dual-floppy
> >8-bit computer did help, though, help a _lot_ when writing
> >term papers in college...)
> >
> >Am I just an old fogey??? (No, I did _not_ walk 2 miles, up
> >hill, in the snow, going to and from school each day...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |